Joojeh, in Persian, means small chicken. A very simple. straightforward and easy to make but superbly delicious dish:
- Off the bone chicken legs and thighs – whole – 4
- Few strands of saffron in a tablespoon of boiling water
- Olive oil 3-4 tablespoons
- Garlic 3-4 cloves
- Cracked black pepper 1/4 tsp
- Juice of one lime
- A few chili flakes (optional)
- Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon
- Remove the bone out of chicken legs and thighs (or even buy ’em already off-the-bone); leave them whole.
- In a large mixing bowl put two tablespoons of olive oil, saffron, crushed garlic, lime juice, cracked black pepper, chili flakes and salt.
- Mix well and add the chicken pieces into it. Make sure that the marinade has worked itself into every bit of the chicken.
- Cover with a cling film and refrigerate overnight (preferably for 24 hours).
- Spread the chicken into any odd steamer (I prefer the bamboo one) as a single layer.
- Sprinkle a bit more black pepper and few more chili flakes, if desired. Steam for 45 min to and an hour.
- Take the steamer off the heat, smear a bit of olive spread or any margarine onto the cooked chicken and let it rest in the steamer for another 10 minutes.
- Cut them to bite sized pieces and serve with any type of bread, potato, etc, and a fresh seasonal salad. A dollop of mayonnaise makes it even tastier!